Nine Medicines You Should not Give your Toddler

Friday, December 31, 2010

I am glad to have received this article on my inbox. It lists down the nine medicines to give a toddler:

  1. Aspirin
  2. OTC Cough and Cold Medicines
  3. Anti-nausea Meds
  4. Adult medications
  5. Any med prescribed for someone else
  6. Anything expired
  7. Extra Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen
  8. Chewables
  9. Ephedra/Ephedrine (Chinese herb ma huang)

The first on the list, I already know. Numbers 3-6, common sense will already tell you why. Acetaminophen is okay but it has to be prescribed by the Pedia and must not go overboard. Chewables are choking hazards. Herbal Meds have adverse results even in adults, much more on toddlers.

Number two got my attention. I have been worried about K because of her coughs. After reading this, I am relieved that I did not turn into ‘mommy-doctor’ and go against Pedia’s orders. He does not prescribe cough medicines and we just follow the water therapy and good old “pagpag likod” remedy :) K is getting better now :)

1 comments:

Mobile Drug Tester said...

Self medication is not advisable, it is always better to consult a Doctor and then take medicines.