Our Journey

Saturday, July 05, 2008

**long entry ahead, was not able to check for errors anymore, heheh

First of all I would like to thank everyone who left me messages in my comments, chatbox, flickr, twitter, those who texted and called just to congratulate us :) I won't mention names anymore, might forget some peeps, eh :)

I'm on my Ninth Week (going on Tenth) and it's been easy so far. It scares me that I still feel normal (except for the sleepiness) but others say I'm lucky I don't get nauseous and I don't vomit. I also don't have any cravings...at least I don't crave those that are hard to find. I'm pretty easy to please. I just really wish time will fly a bit faster so I can feel Baby Dot already moving inside me.

Our long journey started in August 2007 when we decided to seek help from an OB. We were married for a year and was kinda anxious why we haven't conceived yet. See, when we got married, we already wanted to bear kids -- no more waiting period... no enjoying each other period. We weren't getting any younger. Before August, I decided to stop talking about our frustrations after I got really disappointed month after month after month. The last straw was when I was delayed for 43 days during our US trip and got my period on our plane ride home. We were hoping we had good news to tell our family and friends after we were gone for two months.

Back to our work-up. I had to endure the many blood tests that my OB, Dra. Alfiler required (I was bruised on the arms after that!) and we found out that I was healthy and ready to conceive. Except that I have bilateral polycystic ovaries condition and that Hubby has problems with his bugoys too. But my OB assured us that there is nothing to worry about and that our problem is minimal compared to other TTC couples. Timing is the only key. She had me started with Folart and then sets of Duphaston, Clomid and Pregnyl injectable (not everything every month). And then I had to go visit her at a certain week, at least three times a week for follicle monitoring to check whether I was ovulating and whether the egg is about to burst (then she instructs us to have contact). Imagine how invasive (to privacy) that can be! I was being "poked" down there a few times a month and we are told when to do "it". It was all too mechanical.

Around January, my OB prescribed me with Metformin that worked pretty much for me, in terms of having my period regularly at 28 days.

While all this was happening, a Urologist mis-prescribed Hubby in August with an injectable, that caused a worse SA result after three months (two other doctors confirmed that it was a wrong prescription!). So we wasted precious time and money. The second Uro told us to wait another three months until his body has fully flushed out the wrong med and then have another go at SA. The second Uro wasn't a charmer so I told our OB to refer us to another one. We were told to go see an Assisted Reproduction Doctor in MedCity who treats both men and women.

We put off going to the new doctor until my OB scheduled an HSSG around first week of April. It was a pretty nerve-wracking procedure and I was in pain for a few hours (but was able visit Mami Carms and Donna at their office and to go malling afterwards with Mae! LOL!). The HSSG result yielded that both my fallopian tubes aren't blocked and that my OB was able to cleanse my tubes a bit.

A few days after, we scheduled the visit to Dr. Ancheta, we hit it off well with him right away! :) He had me stop with Metformin until I'm done with another blood test (results said I have an elevated level of insulin and I was scheduled to slowly get back on Metfromin, these were just texted to me as I never got the chance to go back to his clinic). He also had Hubby undergo some blood tests and another SA. With our condition, Doc A explained that we will have to do unassisted trial to conceive for three cycles and then when nothing happens, we can talk about Artificial Insemination. That was the last time I talked to him. My LMP was April 24. Later, when my OB told Doc A we were already pregnant just after talking to him, he mused saying "Sto. Nino yata ako, pinapahiran lang ng panyo ng gusto mabuntis, nabubuntis na!" :)

About two and a half weeks after my LMP we started with our novena to the three Patrons of Obando -- Saint Pascual, Saint Claire and Our Lady of Salambao. We also offered novena to Our Lady of La Leche and St. Therese of the Child Jesus at the same time. For nine days, we attended the everyday masses, prayed and glorified God through the intercession of the the said Saints. We also asked our friends (and my dear blog readers) to pray with us. I felt I was ovulating at this time (I refused to believe I was PMSing, heheh). As you all know by now, we also joined the three-day dance and praise festival in Obando. You may want to read my account in a previous post :)

Day 28 came after April 24 and I still didn't get my period. I was anxious to buy a home test but Ane asked that we wait a little longer, until my Day 40. I tested on Day 30 without Hubby's knowledge of course, it was negative. So I vowed to wait a little longer. By this time, I was talking to some of my girl friends already and we were all excited for day 40 to arrive. My brother Ry also knew I was already delayed. I didn't tell anybody though that I tested again on Day 36 (yeah!) and got a very very faint second line. My hope was high and I was smiling for the next days!!! On June 2, my Day40 at 1am, I still could not sleep so I decided to test! Positive! I didn't wake Hubby anymore as I'm sure he'll just get mad at me for waking him up since we were scheduled to be up by 5am. I placed the test result to an area where he can see it right away. But he missed it! When the alarm went off, I was smiling and then he went on fixing himself. When I didn't lock myself in the bathroom, he got suspicious:

Him: Akala ko magtetest ka? (I thought you're gonna use the home test?)
Me: Tapos na! (I already did!)
Him: Eh ano result? (So what's the result?)
Me: *smiling from ear to ear while brushing my teeth* Didn't you see it?
Him: Nakita. Eh ano ba ibig sabihin neto? (I saw it, but what does it mean?)
Me: Positive kaya!!!
Him: Ooowwwwsss?!? Hhehehehehehehehe *smiling the whole day!!!!*
Me: Sabihin natin sa Mom mo? (Let's tell your mom?)
Him: Wag muna, antay natin sabihin ni Doc (Let's wait first for what the doctor has to say)

Needless to say, we went to see my OB the next day :) It was ascertained I was at the early stage of pregnancy and was advised to keep it to ourselves until we are able to see the heartbeat in two weeks time. We met Baby Dot that day on the U/S monitor :) I also started reading books (thanks Mami Carms for lending me your book) and online articles. A couple of girl friends knew about Baby Dot and I also told my brothers since they will notice the change in my eating and drinking habits.

Two weeks after, on June 17, we went back to my OB and that's when we saw the heartbeat! Awwwww! :) I was 7 days and 5 days pregnant and EDD is Jan 31. The minute we left the clinic, I called my parents and then Hubby called his. We wanted them to know first before we announce it to our friends. Everyone was so excited for us. It's about time, we waited for this moment for almost two years!

This Baby is a real blessing and a miracle. I'm thankful that Dot isn't giving me a hard time (I wish it'd stay this way until I'm done! I can't help but be scared sometimes 'coz I dunno what's going on inside me, I can't wait to start showing and feel the movement to feel that I am indeed pregnant, this is certainly God's gift. And I'm claiming it is His plan for Dot to be born and grow up :)

We're financially worried these days as a big chunk of our savings was eaten by the work-up expenses but we believe that God is a great provider, we just have to do our part and save save save some more :)


Week Nine updates from BabyCenter:

How your baby's growing:

Your new resident is nearly an inch long — about the size of a grape — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain.

How your life's changing:

You still may not look pregnant even if your waist is thickening a bit. You probably feel pregnant, though. Not only are morning sickness and other physical symptoms out in full force for most women, but you may feel like an emotional pinball as well.

Mood swings are common now — it's perfectly normal to feel alternately elated and terrified about becoming a parent. Try to cut yourself some slack. Most women find that moodiness flares up at around six to ten weeks, eases up in the second trimester, and then reappears as pregnancy winds to a close.


Tinggay said...

kaje naku! i'm so happy pa rin for you and your hubby! :) i still believe it's the obando dancing but whatever it is, I'm sure you are very thankful for your blessing! :) take good care of yourself - basta malampasan ang 1st trimester and things should be easier :) god bless!

Pretty Life Online said...

wow! congrats gurl!!! I'm so happy for you gurl.... Hope me rin matapos na itong mga "chuvachenalyn" ng OB ko hehehe

Mich said...

Hi kaje! you take care and enjoy your pregnancy. don't worry about the expenses, you were right, God indeed provides! :) congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

it was a indeed a long journey.. a friend of mine had several years of work-ups, tapos they went to several churches din.. they conceived when they stopped the work-ups and just continued praying..

Anonymous said...

if i may add my offered novena to Saint Daniel Comboni :)

Indeed an answered prayer. God is really good.

Baby Dot will have a name soon. :)

Kaje said...

thank you thank you! until now, overwhelmed pa rin ako :)

Anonymous said...

Kami namin we fervently prayed to Our Lady of Manaoag and St. Gerard. And just like you we got our blessing when we stopped the work-ups and pressuring ourselves to get pregnant. Sabi nga nila, all in God's time talaga.

by the way, naabutan mo ba nun sa Tower 1 si Chanda?