Apprehended.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

This afternoon, I was apprehended by some traffic enforcer in Malabon. It was the first time in five years since I started driving that I got asked to yield. My violation? I was driving a vehicle with plate ending in 3. I know today is a Tuesday and the truck is "color-coded" but it was two in the afternoon! So I stopped, asked the man why I was being hassled when I was still within the window 10am to 3pm. He said, "wala pong window sa Malabon, 7 to 7 po ang coding dito (there is no window in Malabon, the coding law is in effect from 7am to 7pm)," while handing me a few sheets of photocopied city ordinance. Wondering when this took effect, I called my brother, who I was in convoy with to return for me. Even he was shocked. I called my husband who lives in Malabon eversince and he also had not idea.

By this time, my blood was really boiling. I was told this ordinance was signed in Feb of this year. I know ignorance of the law excuses no one but is it supposed to be my fault when they suck much in information dissemination?!?! My FIL who is friends with the Oretas, had no idea either! Honestly, I am a law-abiding citizen (I know Makati, Pasay and Pasig have no window) and I felt really bad that I was being apprehended for something so shallow! But I've never seen a signage or a streamer informing the motorists of this city ordinance. We pass by the same route all the time going to EDSA. We were told that there is a lone streamer attached somewhere near a bridge. We saw it later on, alright, in its raggy and unreadable state on the area where they usually put the sorry greetings from all the politicians. Tsk.

I felt bullied. I knew they were bullying me when later I was informed that traffic enforcers like those aren't supposed to do that (like the MMDA) and that they don't do this to all vehicles (we saw a lot of violators later on). They didn't confiscate nor suspended my license but they did write a some kinda warning at the back of my license receipt.

There, I was supposed to write about Brus the Toyota but I feel bad I can't compose anything. I'll be off reading some article about seagull lighting.

Ta-ta!


2 comments:

donna_chocnut said...

pati pala malabon? grabe naman, dapat i-announce yan sa TV, radyo, at dyaryo. yup tin, i can relate. dyahe talaga. dibale next time alam na natin. ingat on the road.

Kaje said...

kagulat nga hehehehe...sinabi ko din na dapat pinalabas nila sa tv yan kasi hindi naman lahat ng tao pumupunta sa public hearing di ba? kakainit talaga ng ulo...pero nagyon naku, kelangan na sumunod, "namarkahan" na si espee ng mga iyun heheheh. otherwise, sa nlex pa kami dadaan kasi sa valenzuela naman may window.