Derick’s Wedding

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A brief introduction: I have two guy bestfriends, Edsel and Derick. That’s Derick to the left and Edsel to the right. We’ve been friends since mid to late 90’s (can’t remember exactly). But Edsel and I used to live in the same DSC_0222GSIS community in Sta. Mesa.  We were introduced by my college friend Odie – her cousin Kuya Ayie was Edsel’s schoolmate in the seminary in Quezon (only Kuya Ayie continued on the vocation). Odie and Kuya Ayie were actually playing match-makers! But fate has it that Edsel and I are bound to be just friends :) And then Derick was introduced to me when I would hang out at Edsel’s place. That’s how we started :) We’re so close that I even have pet names for them: Huggabub for Edsel and Munchkin for Derick -- no wonder I was always a subject of jealousy by their girlfriends LOL! No problem with my Ane though, because I met these two guys even before I met him! Anyway, we’d meet every now and then especially when Edsel is in town (he’s now based in Singapore).

 

They were both in my wedding in 2006.1156 But I missed Edsel’s wedding in December of last year. I was heavy with Baby Dot and the wedding was in Lucena, Quezon.  That’s too far to travel by land and my OB (and husband) didn’t approve such long travel at 8months. That was such a bummer, but I did what I had to do and that is to stay put in Manila. So when Derick announced he’d get married in April, I promised I’d be there even if I had to bring the baby along (I just had to make sure Abi’s already baptized).

 

Derick was married on Easter Monday (April 13).  The church was in Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Cubao while the reception is at Glass Garden in Pasig. Ane had to work on that day, so we rushed to the church when he got home.  DSC_1278DSC_1324We got to the church on time, before the aisle walk started. I even had time to beso Edsel (who is the Best Man) and Derick.

 

The procession was long, they’ve got 17 pairs of Principal sponsors, imagine?! And the church coordinator got irked because the flower girls were throwing flowers on the aisle. He actually swept the carpet with a walis tingting, DURING the ceremony, such attention grabber! LOL!

 

The invitation said “Barong Tagalog” so it means that’s formal, ayt? I came in pants only because I just gave birth and I have no time to buy me another dress (most of my dresses don’t fit in the mid-section anymore) and I figured it would be easier for me to move with Abi in my arms. But at least I came as presentable as I can. I had Ane wear his Barong too. And what do you  know? Only Ane, who isn’t included in the entourage, came in Barong.  Some even attended in jeans, rubber shoes and crew-neck shirt! Oh well, the couple spent an arm and a leg to have a beautiful wedding just to have people (who they thought must be there) ruin the entire effect. It’s not like they requested everyone to wear tuxedo. The least they could do is wear something smart, right? Hay, people. Pinoy nga naman.

 

Anyway, I am so happy for Derick and Tin.  Their wedding almost didn’t push thru after Derick had to battle a Kidney disease in January. He almost didn’t make it, and it’s a miracle that he lived to attend his own wedding.  Tin was very emotional on their very special day.  If I had to go through their ordeal, I would have been pretty emotional too. So to Derick and Tin, congratulations and best wishes! Make a baby right away so Abi will have a playmate! :D

0 comments: