Health Scare

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Looks can be deceiving. Just because I look thin, doesn’t mean I don’t have health issues.Fine, I eat the right food, in fact I stay away from meat (not a big fan of beef at all!) and I love veggies and fruits. But there are things I cannot control.

I should have blogged about this weeks ago but just didn’t find the time. Anyway,

I had a ‘little’ health scare about three weeks ago. I was experiencing headaches and I was attributing it to the fact that I was losing sleep taking care of Abi. Thinking it was just normal, I shrugged it off.  One Wednesday at my OB’s and Abi’s Pedia’s clinic (we went for Abi’s well-baby check-up), I decided to consult something with my OB, nothing serious though. The nurse had to get my vitals, and while taking my BP, the nurse had to check twice – my BP was 150/100!

Dra. Connie was surprised as well. My normal BP is just 100/70! She got worried and listened to my heart, which sounded normal to her. After we discussed what I went there for, she suggested that I see an Internist/Cardiologist as soon as possible. Needless to say, I was worried, too.

The next day, I drove myself to the hospital (Can't bring the baby with me so Ane had to stay home to babysit) and went to our HMO provider’s clinic in Medical City. An internist attended to me, my BP was 140/100. She suggested that I undergo some blood tests and an ECG. I had to fast (food and drink!) for at least 10-12hours! Since Ane has work on a Friday, I had to do the test in the afternoon.

So the next day, I woke up around 5am to have something to eat. And I reserved my energy the whole day so I won’t faint. I asked my brother to drive me to the hospital but changed my mind the last minute. I felt I could still drive. The blood extraction and ECG took less than 10minutes.

I went back the next Wednesday for the result.  Bottomline is, my heart is in perfect condition but my Cholesterol levels are quite high (the benchmark is lower for breastfeeding moms). I reasoned to the Internist that I watch what I eat. It turns out that only about 20% is attributed to food for high cholesterol. It’s more on the genes. And it hit me. My father is hypertensive and has high cholesterol, too! Sheesh.

I was given a prescription for a med that is safe for breastfeeding moms. But after I’ve finished the tablets good for 14 days, I stopped.  I figured I can watch what I eat more carefully. I worry that my liver will give-in when I continue with the med.

I am just thankful that when this happened, I am covered by Ane’s HMO. We didn’t have to worry about the consultation fee, and of course the lab tests that could have potentially ruined our budget for the month. I’d rather pay for an insurance premium rather than be sorry later on. Hmmm, maybe we should consider to mortgage life insurance, too?

This health scare made me realize that I should take care of myself and that I’m not getting any younger!

0 comments: